Monday 2 May 2011

A Pirate's Life for Me!



What is it about pirates that is so fascinating? Why do they call to me in such a strong way? I have wanted to be a pirate ever since I was a girl. I remember being completely absorbed by the adventure, the romance, the language, the swashbuckling and attire in pirate movies (yes, films with pirates in them, not something dodgy bought from a carboot sale....) This will explain the stripes and skulls in my wardrobe.



Yesterday we went to the Brixham Pirate Festival. It was like coming home! The harbourside was filled with all things pirate! This included pirate babies, pirate dogs, pirate grannies in electric wheelchairs, pirate policemen, pirate music, pirate parrots, pirates on stilts, juggling pirates and more tattoos, cutlasses, flintlocks, tankards, eye patchs, bandanas and scurvy knaves than you could shake a stick at! Most excellent!



There were some fabulously authentic looking pirates. The 'costumes' were phenomenal. I could almost hear rigging creaking and smell the salty tang of the sea just looking at them. Actually, I could hear rigging creaking etc, and as we were by the harbour....but you get my meaning!



I had a very interesting chat with a ship's surgeon. He had a rather gruesome assortment of surgical equiptment used on board for repairing the crew. The biggest medical problem faced in a battle was splinter shrapnel from bits of ship blasted to smithereens by cannon fire.



I mean, what's not to like about Captain Jack buying his whelks?



Or pirate lunch?



Arrrrrrrrr!

1 comment:

  1. I love pirates too :) I also love Brixham, we were there a few years ago 'pirating' (or, looking out for pirates as normal people would say - we didn't see any), I had no idea there was an actual festival! Did you know that you can change your Facebook page to pirate speak? I was born in Jul-aye! Hehehe! x

    ReplyDelete